How Layla Moran can help


This page has been designed to answer many of the most common questions you might like to ask. If there is something else that you think should be added to it, please let me know by emailing

Details of other organisations that can help at are the bottom of this page.

What does an MP do?

MPs are elected to Parliament by the British, Irish and Commonwealth residents of a constituency. Following the 2019 General Election there are 650 constituencies in the UK.

In Parliament, MPs participate in debates and vote on proposed laws and other matters. Many MPs are also members of parliamentary committees that examine proposed laws or the work of individual government departments. Some will also have a role as a government minister or as an opposition spokesperson.

MPs can help their constituents by taking up issues with Government departments and by representing local concerns in Parliament.

Am I your MP?

My constituency covers North Oxford, Abingdon, Botley, North Hinksey, South Hinksey, Cumnor, Farmoor, Kennington, Radley, Sunningwell, Wootton, Dry Sandford, Kidlington, Begbroke and Yarnton.

You can easily check if I am your MP via the Parliamentary website. All you need to do is to type your postcode into the box on this link:

Can I help even if I am not your MP?

No, I'm afraid not. There is a strict Parliamentary rule that MPs can only offer assistance to people who live in, and businesses that are located in, the constituency they represent. The link above will provide details for your own MP and you should make contact with her or him.

How to contact me

You can email me at

You can write to me at Layla Moran MP, Unit 5C, Grange Court, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon OX14 3NB or at the House of Commons, Westminster, London SW1A 0AA

You can call my constituency office on 01235 522535

You can also come to one of my regular advice surgeries, which are held at various venues around the constituency and on different days/times (to try to make it easy for the largest number of people).

Details of how to book for a surgery are here:

How I can help

I can offer assistance with matters that Parliament and Central Government are responsible for, such as Government Departments or raising issues with Ministers. I can write to senior officials or Ministers in Government Departments and Agencies. My staff often telephone Government Agencies like the UK Immigration and Visa Service or the DWP on behalf of constituents, and I also do so when this is necessary. I may lobby a Minister personally when appropriate. I can ask Parliamentary Questions of Ministers, which they are obliged to reply to (this does not guarantee that their answer will be useful!). I can apply for a debate in the House of Commons or in Westminster Hall if the issue is one that needs to be raised more widely - this does not guarantee that I will be successful in the ballot.

I will also try to help when a private company has caused problems to you.

I am not elected to Oxfordshire County Council, Oxford City Council, the Vale of White Horse District Council or Cherwell Council. I have no direct control over the issues for which these local authorities have responsibility - such as housing, roads, schools, public transport, refuse collection, and planning. I will try to assist wherever I can by contacting the Councils; however, such assistance may involve me asking for local councillors to take up primary responsibility for your case if they are better placed to progress it.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with filling in application forms for benefits or housing, or with legal problems. I cannot write to private individuals (for example, your neighbours) on your behalf. I cannot undertake research on your behalf for projects or study that you are undertaking.

How long will I take to reply to you?

I receive hundreds of requests for help, assistance and information, and I try, along with my caseworkers, to ensure that all work is dealt with as quickly as possible. All requests for help are looked at on receipt and urgent cases are prioritised as quickly as possible. I'm sorry that this sometimes means that you have to wait for a reply.

I aim to reply to all requests for assistance within 10 working days. Sometimes, with very complex cases or at times of peak demand, it may take a little longer.

For enquiries on policy matters, I also aim to respond within 10 working days but at busy times we prioritise personal cases and the response time for policy enquiries and write in campaigns may take longer.

If you have not had a response to an enquiry, please call my office on 01865 245635 or email me.

What is an advice surgery and when are they?

Advice surgeries are opportunities for constituents with problems to come and speak to me about personal issues or problems that they are experiencing. My caseworkers and I take details of the problems and will then make enquiries about them. Advice surgeries are only for constituents.

Advice Surgeries move day, time and venue around the constituency in order to be near as many constituents as possible over a period of time. I am sorry but practicalities mean that it is difficult to publish all the details in advance.

How to get an appointment at a surgery

I operate an appointment system. To get an appointment please email or telephone my office on 01235 522535.

Please note that my staff will ask for your name, contact details and address, and also details of the issue you want to raise with me. This is because surgeries are usually oversubscribed, and so we want make the best use of your time (and mine) by doing preliminary research before you see me. This may involve writing to third parties before the surgery to get their take on the situation.

If your situation is urgent, or if there are reasons why you cannot provide detail over the telephone or in writing, then I will try to fit you in as soon as I can. If it is not possible - for example, because my surgery is fully booked for some time ahead - I may ask you to have a meeting with one of my caseworkers. He or she will take notes, ask questions, look at whatever paperwork you have and report back to me.

If you have special needs, please do not hesitate to let me know, so that we can adapt to your needs as far as is possible.

What is the best way to invite me to an event?

The very best way to invite me to an event is to email me at You can also write to me at Unit 5C, Grange Court, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon OX14 3NB.

When sending an invite, please be as clear as possible about what the event is, where it will be, date and time it will run to and from. If you want me to do anything at the event - e.g. make a speech - please say.

I receive over a hundred invitations a month, and sadly I am not able to make more than a very small minority. I will prioritise those within the constituency and those involving ordinary constituents or on the major issues within the constituency.

How to find out how I voted or what I've said

The Parliament website shows progress for all bills before Parliament at the link below. However it is not particularly easy to navigate from there to finding the votes. It may be simpler to ask me, or you can put my name and the subject of the bill into the search box and it will bring up votes.

If you want to find out what I've said the search function on TheyWorkForYou is also good - you can enter an MP's name along with a topic

Finding out more about my work on the Public Accounts Committee

I have been on the Public Accounts Select Committee since I was elected in 2017. This cross-party select committee of MPs examines the ways in which government spends taxpayers' money and makes recommendations for improvement. The focus is on the effectiveness, efficiency and value for money. The committee does not debate the pros and cons of a policy but instead whether it has been managed well.

The committee has its own website which allows access to the reports that it produces

Finding out more about my education role

I am the Liberal Democrat Education spokesperson. You are welcome to contact me about education matters, but I do not have secretarial support to reply to the many good ideas that I am sent so I'm afraid that I may not be able to reply individually. However, I do read all the emails and pass them on as appropriate.

To find out more about current party policy on education, or to have input into developing party policy on education, please contact the Liberal Democrat Education Association

Finding out about my expenses

My first priority is to ensure that I serve my constituents properly.

The vast majority of my office and staffing costs have been used to fund the setting up and running costs of my constituency office and the staff team based there.

I have only one member of paid staff based in Westminster.

By the time the snap election of 2019 was called, I and my time had dealt with over 20,000 items of casework.

All MPs expenses are strictly controlled by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA). Full details are on their website:

Applying for a job

Like many MPs, I publish vacant roles, when they arise, in the jobs section of the Working For an MP website ( The website also contains lots of useful advice.

Applying for work experience

I will always consider requests for short periods of work experience from constituents who have a genuine interest in politics. However, the decision to accept or decline requests will depend on my/my office's schedule and available space. I want to make sure that any work experience offered is worthwhile and that means I cannot accept all the requests I get. Priority will be given to constituents.

If you are interested, please email me on

Finding out more about how Parliament works

There are many resources available on the internet and in books. Parliament's own website has much information on it

A good source of information for younger readers is the website of Parliament's Education Service, which can be found here:

Booking tours and tickets

My Westminster office is always happy to try and help to arrange a tour of Parliament for my constituents. These tours are free of charge when the House is sitting. Tours are very popular and are booked up many months in advance. Further information on MP booked tours of Parliament is here:

If you would like my office to arrange a tour of Parliament, please contact me via email.

Commercial tours of Parliament are also run at weekends and when Parliament is in recess. The commercial tours can be personally guided as part of a group or with an audio headset. You can also book a commercial tour that includes an afternoon tea. Further details can be found here.

MPs can often arrange for you to watch a debate in the House of Commons. Please contact my office directly with details of your requirements. Further information on watching debates can be found here.

You can often get tickets just by queuing on the day, but not for popular sessions such as Prime Minister’s Question Time.

You can also watch Select committees

To get tickets for Prime Minister's Question Time

The Public Gallery for the House of Commons is very small. MPs receive two PMQs tickets for their constituents in each calendar month. To be added to the waiting list, please contact my office by email. Please be aware that the waiting list is currently just over six months long.

Where else to get help in an emergency


Cherwell District

Housing team (office hours) 01295 227004

Emergency 01295 221521 

Vale of White Horse

Housing team (office hours) 01235 422422 
Emergency 01235 522420 

Oxford City

Housing team 01865 249811 (switches to an out of hours services 6pm-8am) 

Sleeping Rough Outreach 01865 304611 


Streetlink (for rough sleepers) 0300 5000 914 (24 hour) 
Shelter 0808 800 4444 (8am-8pm) 0808 164 4660 (24 hour) 


The Botley Community Fridge (at St Peter and St Paul’s Church, 81 Westway, Botley) – usually open from 9-5 Monday to Saturday, and 11-5 Sunday. Contact: Riki 07759 135811 FB: Botley Community Fridge.  
A source of emergency food that anyone can help themselves to. 

Foodbanks - need vouchers from Social Services or from CAB offices: 

Abingdon and District, Old Abbey House, Abbey Close, Abingdon OX14 3JD 
Oxford, 95 St Aldates, Oxford OX1 1DA 
Tel: 03444 111444 

Social Services healthcare team: 0345 050 7666 

Other Needs 

Samaritans 01865 722122 

Floodline 0845 988 1188 

Free legal advice 0845 345 4354 


0345 310 1111 during office hours on all normal working days, including the Wednesday – Friday between Christmas and the New Year. Out of hours – 101 (police) 

Electricity Cuts 

SSE – power cut number 105 

In the event of an interruption in power supplies, SSEN's customer service team will make calls to customers on the Priority Service Register to offer extra assistance, where required. People can register for the PSR if they: 

  • Are dependent on electricity for home medical care 
  • Have a chronic illness or short term medical condition 
  • Are disabled 
  • Have special communication needs 
  • Have children under the age of five 
  • Are over the age of 60 

To register telephone 0800 294 3259 


A gas leak either in the house or street – the National Grid on 0800 111 999  


Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Email.